Friday, October 27, 2006

What was I thinking?

I don't know what I was thinking. Well, I kind of know what I was thinking. I was thinking I could go all Martha Stewart and knit everyone's Christmas gifts this year. Not only would I be bestowing a heartfelt and handmade item upon all my giftees, but I would be saving money and getting to knit - all at the same time! But now I've got that sort of sick feeling in my stomach that you get when you realize you may have bit off more than you can chew. You know, like when you are sitting in the sushi joint staring at your california roll and wondering how you're going to eat it. It's sort of too big for one mouthful, but there is no possible way to cut it in half without flinging half of it behind you or across the table somehow, possibly injuring some other sushi patrons or temporarily blinding your sushi buddy. So you think it might just be easier to pop the whole thing in your mouth at once, which you do, and then you wonder how you'll manage to actually eat that whole mouthful, and if you're really enjoying it at all if all you're really doing is trying to finish it without choking. Am I really going to enjoy knitting 7 of the exact same scarves? And am I really going to finish them all before Christmas? I'm already imagining myself knitting feverishly into the night - just one more row, just one more.... Mom doesn't really need a scarf, she's got that fleece I got her a couple years ago to keep her warm....

No comments: